“Child Rights Champions”
We called upon the candidates to the European Parliament to sign our Manifesto and become a “Child Rights Champion”
· Around 100 million children live in the European Union. And children make up half the population developing countries.
· Their lives are affected daily by EU policies, law-making and actions.
· All EU Member States signed the UN Child Rights Convention (UNCRC) and therefore have to promote, protect and fulfill the rights of every child within their borders.
· The Lisbon Treaty makes the promotion of children’s rights an explicit objective for the European Union.
· And the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights requires that the best interest of the child is a primary consideration in all EU action.
With the European Parliament elections approaching, it is now time to translate these commitments into concrete results for children!
Up till the 6th May 2014 the following candidates responded positively and signed the Manifesto (by Party and in alphabetical order):
Cyprus Greens (on the EDEK-GREENS coalition)
Citizens Alliance (Symmahia Politon):